Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Dance Recital






Now, I will be the first to confess that when it came to Cadence's first dance recital I was a bit taken aback by the sheer consuming energy behind it all. My little girl is FOUR - and overpriced dance costumes & make-up are not my idea of a necessity for my little girl who goes to dance once every other week - but my lack of enthusiasm in no way affected my girly-girl who was so ecstatic about her tutu & being on stage! I honestly don't know if I've ever seen her so excited :)

So there we were on the first night of the rehearsal - watching the 6 little girls venture out under the bright lights onto the stage in their white & silver tutus to find their baby dolls which were snuggles in their individual cradles....and I think my heart sank into the very pit of my stomache when I realized almost at the same time that Cadence did that there was NO DOLL in her cradle! I braced myself for her inevitable tears & am fairly sure that if I had not been in the balcony I would have rushed to the stage to rescue her & find her little "Ally"....but once again my attitude did not reflect on hers...

In amazement Ken and I watched as our sweet girl seemingly unphased just kept dancing! - rocking her non-existant baby in her arms & going through each step of her routine as if nothing at all had happened....Bravo sweet Cadence :)

After the recital I asked her, "How did you feel when Ally wasn't in her cradle?"
Matter-of-factly Cadence said, "Well Mom, at first I was a little sad - but just for a little bit & then I remembered that Miss Crystal never has a doll when she dances with us - so I just did what Miss Crystal does. Do you think Miss Crystal is sad that she doesn't have a dolly?"

Anywho - now that I've had a few weeks of post-recital to breathe a bit - in hindsight despite the over-doing and all, I wouldn't have missed her first recital for the world & I'm fairly convinced I'll need to start bracing myself now for the inevitable recital number two!

No comments: